USA: Workforce Alert: Just over 60 Days Left to Comply with NY’s New Sexual Harassment & Discrimination Avoidance Training Law12 August 2019
Amie Flowers Carmack
The State of New York implemented new employee training regulations effective 9 October 2018, with compliant training for existing employees to be first completed by 9 October 2019. The law requires sexual harassment and discrimination avoidance training for all employees who spend any time working in the State of New York, regardless of the size of the employer’s total or New York-based workforce.
Training must be completed as soon as possible for new employees and on an annual basis for existing employees, must be interactive, and must include the following:
- Explanation of sexual harassment consistent with guidance issued by the Department of Labor, with examples.
- Explanation of federal and state harassment and discrimination laws and remedies.
- Description of employees’ rights of redress and available forums for adjudicating complaints.
- Conduct by supervisors and any additional responsibilities for such supervisors.
- Explanation of New York City Human Rights Laws.
- Addition of the NYC Commission on Human Rights to the forums for adjudicating complaints.
- Education regarding bystander intervention.
- Explanation of responsibility of supervisors and managers.
- Definition and examples of prohibited retaliation.
If you need help with these trainings and for additional information, please contact:
Amie Flowers Carmack, Partner
Morningstar Law Group, Raleigh, NC
t: +1 919 590 0397